Thursday, July 14, 2016

DIY Kitchen Shutters

As I continue to remodel our kitchen, I came across the idea to add shutters to the kitchen window. Instead of spending hundreds of dollars on shutters, I decided to build my own.


I love them!!!


To build the shutters I took the window measurements and headed to Home Depot and played around with different wood sizes. I came up with a design that included two different sizes of wood and three slats of wood on each shutter. While at Home Depot I had them cut all the wood to the length I needed. This left me with only horizontal pieces to cut at home. I allowed 1/2" in my width measurement for the hinges and it worked out perfectly!  I also allowed 1/4" for the height measurement, but had to go back and cut off an inch so they would fit correctly. There was enough wood leftover to create two horizontal pieces for each shutter.

I used butt hinges to attach the panels together. I used other hinders we had from previous projects to attach the shutters to the wall. The butt hinges I bought were not strong enough to hold all of the weight once attached to the wall.



All said and done, the wood cost $25 and I used paint and stain I already had at home. 








Interested in the same look??? Feel free to contact me!

Featured Post

A Walk Down Memory Lane

It's hard to believe we have lived in our fixer upper for more than 9 months! Shortly after moving into our home we went from a family ...