Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Office/Guest Bedroom Desk

As the kitchen continues to receive updates, I am currently moving onto our office/guest bedroom. I have a specific vision for the room and look forward to bringing it to life!

To begin, I continuously see desk made with galvanized pipe that I love! The look is enough rustic/farmhouse/simple that I wanted to create my own for the office. After looking in the garage at leftover wood, I noticed we had an extra door not being used. The door was the perfect length to use for the top of the desk. Next, I began researching dimensions online. In coming across several tutorials, I decided to use a post from the blog www.designertrapped.com for guidance. Since I was using an old door and not slabs of wood (like the tutorial) there were a few adjustments to make. 

Next, it was off to Home Depot for piping. As I walked in the store with Giada and Jocko in the cart, I was dreading how long it may take to pick out the pipe. Luckily, the gentleman who helped me was beyond helpful and made our experience much better than I could have imagined.

Now, I was off to stain the door. I gave both sides of the doer a quick sand before any stain was applied. I used a combo of two stains on the top of the desk to get the look I wanted. After it dried, I took 00 steel wool and sanded the door. To finish it off, I took some grey paint (the same color as our walls) and applied it to the top of the stain for a white washed look. For the sides and bottom of the desk, I painted it white and sanded the sides for a distressed look once the paint dried. 

The final step was to assemble the galvanized pipe - pretty self explanatory. 


Once the pipe was assembled, I screwed the floor flanges to the bottom of the door. 

All in all, I am happy with the result and look forward to the completion of our office/guest bedroom.

Here are the dimensions of galvanized pipe which included the threading. Home Depot cuts and threads the pipe for you.

Pipe Cut List

4  - 8 inches
4 - 11 inches
4 - 14 inches
1 - 45 inches
6 - t-joints
4 - floor flanges

(Picture from www.designertrapped.com)

The overall cost for this project was under $80 which is great because all the desk I found online ranged from $500 - $1000. 

My inspiration



My desk


Now I am I search for the perfect desk chair and decor/organization on the desk. 



Featured Post

A Walk Down Memory Lane

It's hard to believe we have lived in our fixer upper for more than 9 months! Shortly after moving into our home we went from a family ...